On Tue, Jun 25, 2024 at 8:26 AM Vladimir Levin <vmp...@chromium.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 24, 2024 at 5:54 PM Stefan Zager <sza...@chromium.org> wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I recently took over ownership of this project, and I have a couple of
>> updates...
>>
>> - The target launch milestone is now M128.
>>
>> - In addition to the changes in functionality previously discussed, we
>> are going to ship a new DOM Element attribute under the same feature flag:
>> currentCSSZoom
>> <https://drafts.csswg.org/cssom-view/#dom-element-currentcsszoom>.
>>

> It sounds like this may warrant another intent. Is there a reason this is
> bundled together with updating existing APIs for CSS zoom?

The intention here is that all aspects of the new zoom behavior will be
bundled together into a single self-consistent package, with no a la carte
option. Because this attribute is entirely new, it doesn't add any
compatibility risk; and since it has already shipped in Firefox and has WPT
coverage, it doesn't add interop risk (on the contrary).

>> - Taking into consideration the issues with gmail and excel, we're going
>> to take a more cautious approach in rolling this out: it's currently
>> enabled in a canary/dev finch experiment, and it will follow M128 through
>> normal channel promotion. We will also create a reverse origin trial to
>> allow impacted sites to disable the new behavior at their discretion.
>>

> I would also encourage you to reach out to Excel and Gmail teams directly
> so that they are aware of the reverse origin trial and this plan.

Indeed!