On Wed, Jul 10, 2024 at 6:34 PM Mason Freed <mas...@chromium.org> wrote:

> {NOTE: this is a replacement of this chromestatus
> <https://chromestatus.com/feature/5167414571696128>, which has the wrong
> feature type and cannot be changed.}
> Contact emailsmas...@chromium.org, andr...@chromium.org
>
> ExplainerNone
>
> Specification
> https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/10395#issuecomment-2192127524
>
> Summary
>
> The CSSWG resolved to rename this property, because "fallbacks" more
> accurately describes what this property controls. The word "options" is a
> bit deceiving, since the styles outside of `position-try` blocks will be
> tested first, and if they result in a layout that fits within the
> containing block, none of the "options" will get used. So "fallbacks" is a
> better word to describe this behavior.
> https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/10395#issuecomment-2192127524
>

> Blink componentBlink>CSS
> <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=component:Blink%3ECSS>
>
> TAG reviewNone
>
> TAG review statusNot applicable
>
> Risks
>

> Interoperability and Compatibility
>
> This is a name change, which will result in the old name no longer
> functioning. So there is a risk of breakage. However, the anchor
> positioning feature was very recently shipped, and does not have
> implementation in other browsers. So we feel the risk is quite small
> currently, but will grow over time. Given that, we'd like to rename this
> property ASAP to avoid the risk getting too large. The use counter is
> currently quite low, around 0.01% in June:
> https://chromestatus.com/metrics/css/timeline/popularity/784 An HTTP
> Archive search was performed, which showed that almost all usage comes from
> one Shopify CSS file (`spec-and-compare.css`), and we intend to reach out
> to Shopify (or hope for a response from one very special Blink API owner)
> to make sure this will not break Shopify.

Have you had a chance to investigate what a breakage looks like by checking
the sites using the feature?

I think this rename is fairly safe, but I want to make sure that we're
planning on shipping it with a flag that would be able to undo the behavior
(a killswitch). I assume having two flags, one to add a new flag and one to
remove the old flag is the easiest way to do that. WDYT?

Thanks,
Vlad