On Wed, Jul 17, 2024 at 11:51 PM Yoav Weiss (@Shopify) <
yoavwe...@chromium.org> wrote:

> Have you had a chance to investigate what a breakage looks like by
>>> checking the sites using the feature?
>>>

> More specifically, as discussed previously, this usage is coming from a 3P
> app that merchant sites install and that Shopify has no direct control
> over. Have you reached out to the app's authors? Have you tried to see if
> it gets broken by this change?

So I've been successful in getting in touch with this 3P app author, and
they've already disabled their usage of anchor positioning generally. So
that specific case should be handled. Generally, the behavior that will be
broken by the rename is that fallback positions will not be attempted,
meaning only the primary anchor position will be used.

> I think this rename is fairly safe, but I want to make sure that we're
>> planning on shipping it with a flag that would be able to undo the behavior
>> (a killswitch). I assume having two flags, one to add a new flag and one to
>> remove the old flag is the easiest way to do that. WDYT?

Thanks, I'm glad you agree that this should be relatively safe, if done
*soon* before usage increases. And to confirm, we do have two flags
(CSSPositionTryFallbacks and CSSPositionTryOptions) which work exactly as
you suggest. We will flip flop their states, but retain the ability to swap
that back via Finch in case of emergency.

Thanks,
Mason