Hi,
Speakup is a kernel module. Since you're using Ubuntu - it's probably
already available, so you don't need to install it separately.
Furthermore, it's no longer distributed as a separate package, but it's
included in the Linux Kernel itself, so you've probably downloaded
something very old.
If you don't have /dev/softsynth (espeakup says it couldn't find it)
it's probably that speakup module is not loaded. Load it with:
sudo modprobe speakup_soft
To have this done automatically on startup, do:
sudo echo speakup_soft > /etc/modules-load.d/speakup.conf

Speechd-up is an interface between speakup and speech-dispatcher.
Espeakup is similar, but it uses the espeak library.
If you want to use espeak - you can stick with espeakup. If you want to
use other synthesizers - you can't use espeakup, but you have to use
speech-dispatcher, i. e. speechd-up.
Orca uses speech-dispatcher for it's speech output, for example.

So, after you load the speakup kernel module, go to a graphical terminal and do:
sudo espeakup

If it says ""command not found", find where it is with:
which espeakup
and include the full path, e. g.:
sudo /usr/local/bin/espeakup

--