On Thu, 26 Sep 2013, Scheffenegger, Richard wrote:

I'd state that people operating datacenters with request-response type data exchange via TCP do care a lot about the microscopic drop distribution. Typically, a tail-drop queue has the unfortunate property of losing the more critical packets of such an exchange, leading to excessive "transaction" (higher level protocol) delays due to lengthy TCP loss recovery.

Do you know of simulations or similar that investigates this? I would like to understand why having RED on a 3ms buffer depth device makes a difference and how much difference it makes.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swm...@swm.pp.se