Dave,

I'll sign too. (And I like the 98th percentile measure for each direction to
give a single number that represents what's happening. It could include ping
loss rate, as well...)

But more importantly, an open letter would likely be more powerful than the
results I got from sending a note to the purveyors of speed tests. I've
appended the note I sent about six weeks ago. And here's a paraphrase of their

speedtest.net - We wanted to follow up and let you know that are developers
were informed of your ideas.

speedof.me - We may add such features in future versions

testmy.net - I think you're really going to like my next version... you'll be
provided a much deeper insight.

There's a flock of other vendors - I just googled "Internet speed test" and got
a dozen or so more. Many are served by Ookla/Speedtest.net, but many seem to
have independent implementations...

I'll pull together a list of people to send the open letter to (trade press,
etc)

Rich

----- Summary of note sent to these speed test vendors in early August 2014
-----
Hi!

I would love to see real-time latency measurements, and a summary of min and
max times in the final report. Your page currently displays a single "latency"
value, but it appears that it's simply the measurement before you start the
data transfers. It's really interesting to see that low value, but also the
range/max of the latency.

Why is latency interesting? I'm a member of the CeroWrt project that is working
to reduce latency in home routers (and everywhere else). Our research has led
to the development and testing of the fq_codel algorithm that virtually
eliminates bufferbloat (high latency during heavy traffic). You can read about
the project at: http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt

I'm asking you to consider implementing the web-equivalent of our "Quick Test
for
Bufferbloat"http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki/Quick_Test_for_Bufferbloat
 By showing what happens to latency during transfers, people can become aware
of the problem, and that there's a fix for it. (I'm using the CeroWrt firmware
at my house. Ping times to Google only go up by ~20-30 msec even when I max out
the DSL link in both directions.)