On Tue, 3 Apr 2018, Michael Welzl wrote:

Sure, when you’re in control of both ends of a connection, you can build whatever you want on top of UDP - but there’s a lot of wheel re-inventing there. Really, the transport layer can’t change as long as applications (or their libraries) are exposed to only the services of TCP and UDP, and thereby statically bound to these transport protocols.

I'm aware of TAPS and I have been trying to gather support for this kind of effort for years now, and I'm happy to see there is movement. I have also heard encouraging talk from several entities interested in actually doing serious work in this area, including some opensourcing part of their now non-FOSS code-base as part of that work.

So we need applications to be able to get more access to what's going on the wire, including access to non-TCP/UDP, but also to be able to create "pluggable TCP-stacks" so that a host can have several different ones, and the user can install new ones even on older operating systems.

With more and more IPv6 around, I hope we'll be able to deploy new protocols that are not TCP/UDP (A+P), and that this will bring back some innovation in that area.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swm...@swm.pp.se