Hi Michael,

Am 29.11.18 um 13:12 schrieb Michael Welzl:
> I'm answering myself with an add-on thought:
>
>> On 29 Nov 2018, at 09:08, Michael Welzl <mich...@ifi.uio.no> wrote:

>>> I agree, but unfortunately nobody has made me king of the Internet yet so I
>>> can't just decree it into existance.
>>
>> Well, for what you want (re-ordering tolerance), I would think that the LE
>> codepoint is suitable. From:
>> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-le-phb-06
>> "there ought to be an expectation that packets of the LE PHB could be
>> excessively delayed or dropped when any other traffic is present"
>>
>> ... I think it would be strange for an application to expect this, yet not
>> expect it to happen for only a few individual packets from a stream.
>
> Actually, maybe this is a problem: the semantics of LE are way broader than
> "tolerant to re-ordering". What about applications that are
> reordering-tolerant, yet still latency critical?

Yep, the LE semantics are basically that you're expecting to just
utilize any spare capacity (which may not be available for some longer
periods). Re-ordering of LE-packets shouldn't normally be the case as
packets of a particular flow should all be in the same LE queue.

> E.g., if I use a protocol that can hand over messages out of order (e.g.
> SCTP, and imagine it running over UDP if that helps), then the benefit of
> this is typically to get messages delivered faster (without receiver-side HOL
> blocking)).
> But then, wouldn't it be good to have a way to tell the network "I don't care
> about ordering" ?
>
> It seems to me that we'd need a new codepoint for that.

Too few DiffServ codepoints for too many purposes available. :-)
Most of the DiffServ PHBs are observing the recommendation of RFC 2474:
"It is RECOMMENDED that PHB implementations do not introduce any packet
re-ordering within a microflow."

> But, it also seems to me that this couldn't get standardised because that
> standard would embrace a layer violation (caring about a transport
> connection), even though that has been implemented for ages.

Just from a logical perspective, a re-ordering property could be
_one_ attribute of a per-hop behavior (PHB), but a PHB
has very likely further properties that specify the packet
forwarding treatment. So probably re-ordering is probably
often orthogonal to other PHB features. But having a
new (best-effort + re-ordering tolerant) PHB could
be useful for some cases...

Regards,
 Roland