Hi Matt,

On 08.07.21 at 15:29 Matt Mathis wrote:
I think there is something missing from your model.    I just scanned your paper and noticed that you made no mention of rounding errors, nor some details around the drain phase timing,   The implementation guarantees that the actual average rate across the combined BW probe and drain is strictly less than the measured maxBW and that the flight size comes back down to minRTT*maxBW before returning to unity pacing gain.  In some sense these checks are redundant, but If you don't do them, it is absolutely true that you are at risk of seeing divergent behaviors.
Sure, most models abstract things away and so does our model leave out
some details, but it describes quite accurately what happens if multiple
BBRv1 flows are present. So the model was not only confirmed by our
own measurements, but also by many others who did BBRv1 experiments.
That said, it is also true that multi-stream BBR behavior is quite complicated and needs more queue space than single stream.   This
Yes, mostly between 1bdp and 1.5bdp of queue space.
complicates the story around the traditional workaround of using multiple streams to compensate for Reno & CUBIC lameness at larger scales (ordinary scales today). Multi-stream does not help BBR throughput and raises the queue occupancy, to the detriment of other users.

And yes, in my presentation, I described the core BBR algorithms as a framework, which might be extended to incorporate many additional algorithms if they provide optimal control in some settings.  And yes, several are present in BBRv2.

Ok, thanks for clarification.

Regards,
 Roland

Thanks,
--MM--
The best way to predict the future is to create it.  - Alan Kay

We must not tolerate intolerance;
       however our response must be carefully measured:
            too strong would be hypocritical and risks spiraling out of control;
            too weak risks being mistaken for tacit approval.