OK, SMARTS-based MMFF94 charges are now checked in for Jmol.

Obviously the settings are not perfect and will take some tweaking. I'm
sure it's more complicate than I make it out to be -- probably some very
odd definitions in there; certainly some I could not fathom on this first
pass. I haven't taken a full look at OpenBabel's definitions, but I did use
the algorithm in OBForceFieldMMFF94::SetPartialCharges() as my basis (even
though some of that makes almost no sense to me -- for example:

      switch (type1) {
      case 32:
        // 32  OXYGEN IN CARBOXYLATE ANION
        // 32  NITRATE ANION OXYGEN
        // 32  SINGLE TERMINAL OXYGEN ON TETRACOORD SULFUR
        // 32  TERMINAL O-S IN SULFONES AND SULFONAMIDES
        // 32  TERMINAL O IN SULFONATES
      case 35:
        // 35  OXIDE OXYGEN ON SP2 CARBON, NEGATIVELY CHARGED
      case 72:
        // 72  TERMINAL SULFUR BONDED TO PHOSPHORUS
        factor = 0.5f;
        break;
      case 62:
        // 62  DEPROTONATED SULFONAMIDE N-; FORMAL CHARGE=-1
      case 76:
        // 76  NEGATIVELY CHARGED N IN, E.G, TRI- OR TETRAZOLE ANION
        factor = 0.25f;
        break;
      }

What the heck is that? Convince me that is reasonable! (Or are these not
the MMFF94type numbers in MMFF-I_AppendixB.ascii?)

Jmol's aromatic definition is structural, not electronic, so that certainly
would be one point of difference.

Ideally it would be verified, but for a lot of purposes at least for now
I'll be satisfied with an approximation.

I can get partial charges from MMFF94 far easier from PubChem than I can
from OpenBabel, I think. All I have to do is

load :xxxxx

then  save the partial charges in an array and compare them with calculated
values:

load :methanol
A = {*}.partialcharge.all
calculate partialCharge
{*}.partialcharge = A.sub({*}.partialcharge.all)
label %[partialcharge]
print {*}.partialcharge.all.stddev

This will display the differences and print the standard deviation. I must
be doing something right, because I do get this:

$ load :methanol
0.0

$ load :acetone
8.1649824E-4

$ load ":ethyl acetate"
3.9223014E-4

$ load ":benzene"
0.0

$ load :pyridine
0.0

But I'm sure there are plenty that are problematic.

Caffeine must assign different atom types --

load :caffeine
A = {*}.partialcharge.all
calculate partialCharge
{*}.partialcharge = A.sub({*}.partialcharge.all)
label %[partialcharge]
print {*}.partialcharge.all.stddev
0.10437195

But that's what I expect at this stage. Can't expect everything to be
perfect in a day!

Can I get OpenBabel to report what MMFF94 atom types it is assigning?

Bob

--
Robert M. Hanson
Professor of Chemistry

-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900