Maybe the confusion is about the Non-Original Databases?
http://www.wipo.int/copyright/en/activities/databases.html

>From the WIPO FAQ:
[...] How are copyright and related rights protected on the Internet?

Two treaties were concluded in 1996 at the World Intellectual Property
Organization (WIPO) in Geneva. One, the WIPO Copyright Treaty (WCT), deals
with protection for authors of literary and artistic works, such as
writings and computer programs; ****original databases****; musical works;
audiovisual works; works of fine art and photographs. The other, the WIPO
Performances and Phonograms Treaty (WPPT), protects certain "related
rights" (that is, rights related to copyright): in the WPPT, these are
rights of performers and producers of phonograms. [...]

http://www.wipo.int/copyright/en/faq/faqs.htm