On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 12:46 AM, John P. Overington <j...@ebi.ac.uk> wrote:
> I think there are some quite big issues with releasing query sets without
> explicit
> permission (informed consent) from the users. I think most users do not think
> that their structures will be disclosed when they use an on-line resource,
> especially if this is not made crystal clear that future exposure of these
> queries
> is likely, or allowed.

This is exactly what I was trying to say, but you said it more concisely.

There's legal, and then there's what people expect from their fellow scientists.

Andrew wrote:
> > Craig wrote:
> > If I were a user, I'd assume that what I entered was
> > private unless the site's privacy policy explicitely said otherwise.
>
> Why would you assume that?

Because that's the proper way to operate a web site -- treat your
customers' data as confidential by default.

Andrew wrote:
> Every company I've worked for or consulted
> for has specifically said that internal structures are never to be
> sent out of the organization, excepting where certain agreements, which
> spell out what can be done with the data, are in place. This was true
> even when I was doing bioinformatics work in 1998, so it's nothing new.

Right, but that's to protect the organization from unscrupulous
web-site operators.  That doesn't mean it's OK to be unscrupulous.
Just because it's legal to give out customer's data doesn't mean it's
ethical.

Craig