Introducing Jean-Sebastian Caux,

J-S is a theoretical condensed matter physicist developing the strategy and
practice of Diamond Access (no-fee publication/reading) in science. This
started with physics and he is now adding chemistry. I think BO will be a
great place to find volunteers and information.

He writes:

Separately, on the SciPost side, here follow a couple of points worth
sharing.

After establishing our activities in Physics, we'd really like to extend
our services to the community in Chemistry.

The idea is to apply precisely the same guiding principles (not-for-profit;
academics-led; open refereeing etc, see https://scipost.org/about) while
developing the Chemistry branch. As a kind of separate note, it's important
to understand that SciPost is proposing a very different business model
than those currently discussed (APCs, etc). The details of this are
explained at https://scipost.org/finances/business_model/ .

We have already defined a couple of journals, most importantly SciPost
Chemistry (see https://scipost.org/SciPostChem/about) which we would like
to breathe life into.

The most important foundation stone for this is to build an Editorial
College in Chemistry. We already have a handful of people (see
https://scipost.org/colleges/chemistry) but we're looking for 30 - 50 more
to give proper momentum. Fellows should be academics with very high
reputation and with their heart in the right place as far as reforming
academic publishing is concerned. The workflow for Fellows is summarized at
https://scipost.org/submissions/editorial_workflow (the official by-laws
are at https://scipost.org/EdCol_by-laws).

<<<<

It is clear that "transformational agreements" , where funders pay the OA
costs (APCs) create more problems than they solve. If you are not employed
by a rich, Northern, university then you can't publish. I'm working with
groups in India and Latin America and it's clear we shall only be able to
publish in a Diamond Access journal. APCs of 2000 - 5000 USD are completely
beyond academics in the Global South or scientists not employed in rich
institutions (I am retired). I think the TAs allow publishers to increase
charges enormously and are globally and socially divisive.

The answer is Diamond journals and preprints.

I am working with J-S to search and index equations in physics journals (it
could also apply to chemical physics and physical chemistry). The
goals include:
* ontological help for authors
* novel search tools for readers

If you believe that Diamond journals are the way forward or feel that the
Global South and non-academics get a bad deal from current publishing then
please join us.

"I always retain copyright in my papers, and nothing in any contract I sign
with any publisher will override that fact. You should do the same".

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader Emeritus in Molecular Informatics
Yusuf Hamied Department of Chemistry
University of Cambridge
CB2 1EW, UK
+44-1223-336432