The BMW UUC Digest Volume 3 : Issue 644 : "text" Format Messages in this Issue: Motor Books of the 60's chasing my youth
---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 19:34:32 -0500 From: Ed MacVaugh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: BMWUUC Digest <[email protected]> Subject: Motor Books of the 60's chasing my youth Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Folks, As I pause and reflect on the passing of yet another year, I once again try to snatch from my mind's cobwebs yet another marker of my youth. I had thought long and hard on the recreational books of my formative times and have looked to obtain four or so of the more memorable car books of my youth. I have located "T-Model Tommy" and the "Red Car" books. I am still seeking and need some help regarding titles and authors of: 1) A book in which an over-the-road trucker buys a Morgan and races it, losing a fender in a shunt and getting the help of another trucker who helps him get the replacement fender in time to compete. Character's name was an unpronounceable Eastern European name until his family had it translated to "Fletcher" as the original name described "someone who puts feathers on arrows." 2) A young kid who wants to make his life personalizing cars for show and competition and nearly achieves success with a creation in pink with copper trim until a tragic accident leaves him in the river with his girlfriend as he dies. 3) A similar book (or maybe the same book) in which the prominent car is a car with a thin sheet metal top that retracts into the trunk but fails to protect the heroine's head in a crash due to its flimsy construction. Think the 1958 Ford Fairlane 500 Skyliner. 4) Book or books of a similar era in which the main character is involved in racing closed wheel purpose built race cars (my mind says McLarens and Porsches ) in which the main character races with near empty fuel tank while he himself is fuel soaked. Others from that era that I might not recall? Anyone? Thanks muchly, Ed "Electroshock can be a wonderful thing. I recommend it." Don U Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UUCGarage/ <*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UUCGarage/join (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ -- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.11/1201 - Release Date: 12/28/2007 11:51 AM ------------------------------ End of [bmwuucdigest] digest(1 messages) **********
