On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 9:07 AM, Cor Nouws <oo...@nouenoff.nl> wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Michael Wheatland wrote (21-01-11 23:33)
>
>> I thought a little info might be helpful.
>> I don't dare mention the product name... but another open source
>
> ;-)
>
>> product has the following clause in their trademark policy which
>> allows unwritten licencing of the trademark:
>>
>> -----
>> //Use that does not require a written license//
>> Non-commercial Products that exist solely to support Drupal and its
>> adoption, use and users may use the Drupal trademark in promotional
>> materials, such as posters, books, pins, and t-shirts.
>>
>> Use of the trademark that is merely descriptive of the Product is
>> acceptable without need of a license. If such description clearly
>> separates your trademark from the Drupal trademark (e.g. by describing
>> the Product as "YourProduct for Drupal"). In other words, you would
>> not need a license to promote the name "TotalTraining for Drupal" but
>> branding your product so it seems like it comes from Drupal (e.g.
>> "Drupal TotalTraining") would not be permissible.
>> -----
>>
>> This policy has allowed the community to build a huge 3rd party
>> community support network around their product while protecting their
>> trademark successfully.
>
> Interesting, thanks for posting,
> But as far as I read the current version on the wiki, it allows the same use
> etc. Or did I miss something?
> (http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TradeMark_Policy)
>
> Regards,
> Cor

As far as I can see, one aspect that is not covered by the proposed
trademark policy is the use of our product trademark "LibreOffice"
directly in the name or URL of other service providers.
ie can a commercial support provide be called "LibreOffice Support"
located at libreofficesupport.com?

Also there is no distinction between commercial activities and
community (not for profit) activities in the 'permitted use' section,
which would result in groups, including NL groups being subjected to
the same rules as commercial providers.

Then again, I may have read it incorrectly.

Mike