Tom Davies wrote:

I had hoped the discussion would just congratulate the Documentation Team on
neatly avoiding potential pitfalls that would take months to fix if MS used it
as a side-issue in a any future dealings with them.  It makes sense to use
primarily Windows screen-shots in marketing, for the reasons Italo stated, but
Documentation takes a LOT longer to fix.

Sorry, but I don't see why we should mix two completely different issues. The documentation team sets the rules for documentation, and I don't see why the SC should change these rules if they are - and they are - well thought.

On the other hand, marketing has different - short term - needs, which are important for the project but should not be taken as a rule for the entire project. Marketing, sometimes, is very tactical, because of the changing situation of the outside environment.

Documentation, on the other hand, is totally strategical, and has long term objectives and rules. So, the two projects should follow two paths according to their short or long term objectives.

In my opinion, documentation screenshots can be entirely Linux (unless there is a specific feature on a different OS).

At the same time, screenshots that we provide to the media can be entirely Windows (while on the web we can post both Linux and Windows in order to give a choice).

--
Italo Vignoli
tel: +39.348.5653829