Hi Alex,

Alexander Werner wrote on 09/07/2020 16:30:

> I want to remind all of you what The Document Foundation is all about,
> as stated in the *unalterable* statutes
> (https://www.documentfoundation.org/foundation/statutes/):
>
> "The objective of  the foundation is the promotion and development of
> office software available for use by anyone free of charge." - this does
> not restrict the target audience.
>
> "This software will be openly available for free use by anyone for their
> own files, including companies and public authorities, ensuring full
> participation in a digital society and without detriment to intellectual
> property."

I do not read that the statues say that this apply to all software
developed 'under TDF'.
Also, there seems to be room for debate - partly at least - about
whether software is code or binaries.
So providing a basic "Office-Paket, also Software für gebräuchliche
Arbeiten zur Erstellung z.B. von Texten, Tabellendokumenten,
Präsentationen, Zeichnungen, Bildern und Diagrammen" may be just enough?
Since the statues also say something about a sustainable community, I
think it is wise to try to find a good mixture.

> The primary goal of The Document Foundation is to fulfill its statutes,
> and the secondary goal is to cater for ecosystem vendors needs.

The statues say nothing explicit about "ecosystem vendors needs". As
already stated: the statues mention to take care for a sustainable
community (etc) too. So strongly dividing between TDF and ecosystem
vendors feels unnatural to me.
I know, agree, that it is not easy. But the draft marketing plan tries
to explain why doing the one (giving away free to use) without doing the
other (taking care for the ecosystem) will not last.
I believe that some details in the marketing plan, may even be less
positive, then you read them there.

Please understand that this all is not to say that I do not take the
statues seriously - I'm active long enough in the community to know the
importance, history etc.
But - as business man and board member - I like to make use of the
freedom, room, that is there, if it serves our goals :)

Greetings,
Cor

--
Cor Nouws