Hello Andreas,

Andreas Mantke wrote on 26.07.21 at 19:51:

Thus I could not provide you any experience about the effectiveness of
the different captcha services (providers). I created the new hcaptcha
add-on only on a request / discussion inside the community.

to answer your question, the above is indeed the problem we were facing - other Captcha services were working, but much less reliable, i.e. they were much less suited to prevent spamming. Even with blocking certain "spammy" IP ranges, the amount of spam was too high, and the feedback from other communities back then was very similar.

However, let's continue this technical discussion on the website@ list instead, where also others could provide valuable feedback.

Florian