So are you saying that we have to keep a code that fixed a 5 years ago problem?
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/ticket/725

No, if you really need sample apps you can create the link by yourself, I don't
see any point in breaking newer builds in favour of older ones.

even because I don't know who really needs the example apps directory, AFAICS
only people who want to build a server.

If you want to build a server I don't think you will take an unix release from
2008.

For me is safer and better to drop it.

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/gitweb/?p=boinc-v2.git;a=commitdiff;h=5a1e97c349b81a32ae0bb6a3dd2b4877a9d14027

This commit makes the LATEST ubuntu LTS fail to build from source, I don't see
any good point in breaking it.

Anyway could be nice to have a flag (disabled by default) to allow building for
older releases, but not in the configure script, just in the example directory
"--enable-static-stdc++"

Gianfranco