Please read https://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/SoftwareTesting
-- David

On 8/4/2017 3:38 PM, Laurence Field wrote:
Hi David,

On 04/08/17 23:17, David Anderson wrote:

It's simple:

1) fork master, e.g. to client_release_xxx.  It's not stable at this point.
2) test client_release_xxx (e.g. using Alpha testers) fix bugs, repeat. Now it's stable.
3) only backport bug fixes to client_release_xxx.  It remains stable.
You can also build and test from master, fix the issues then make the release. A branch can then be created but would only be updated to include major issues and not any new features. Once the master is 'stable' it should in theory never break again as changes in the PRs should have already been tested. If we are able to have nightly builds with automated tests, this should speed up the process on the long term.

We've always used this approach for the client, and it's worked perfectly.
That does not mean it is necessary it is the best method. This kind of argumentation is not Computer Science.
We can use the same approach for server if we create
a distributed testing system based on Beta projects (analogous to the client Alpha test)
Having a versioned release of the server would be helpful. I hope that we can have working server packages for Debian and CentOS soon. I don't think we need to target any other platform but please let me know if there are others.

Cheers,

Laurence