> From: "William E. Kempf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > From: "Stefano Delli Ponti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > From: "William E. Kempf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > > I'm not sure there's any coherence to keep here.  Do you have specific
> > concerns/thoughts here?
> >
> > I was thinking about keeping similar design patterns between these two
> > libraries.
> > (because they are conceptually similar as they both give a portable view of
> > operating system functionalities).
> > So if we use domain specific exception in the filesystem library, the thread
> > library should follow the same pattern too. The same for the issue of
> > conditional compilation.
>
> I'll look at this closer, but the domains are different enough that I'm not sure
>there's anything that carries over.

OK, I've been looking at boost::filesystem_error.  Here's my thoughts:

boost::filesystem_error could be benefited by splitting it up into more exception
types.  I know this was suggested in the review, but don't know what the plan was in
regard to this.  In Boost.Threads case, so far we have need for 4 different errors:
lock errors, resource errors, invalid arguments and unsupported errors.  Some have
suggested carrying the OS error code, but given only 4 possible error conditions, does
this even sound reasonable?  Or are people suggesting Boost.Threads should use a
single exception type and carry the error code, as filesystem_error currently does?

William E. Kempf
[EMAIL PROTECTED]