> From: Beman Dawes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> At 11:44 AM 1/9/2003, William E. Kempf wrote:
>
>  >As for conditional compilation... the Boost.Filesystem stuff has no
>  >need for this, while Boost.Threads has a very definate need.
>
> The reason that Boost.Filesystem doesn't have conditional compilation is
> that a design decision was made to limit the library to features which
> could be implemented in both POSIX and Windows.
>
> Otherwise it would have been shot full of optional/conditional features.
>
> I'm not saying Boost.Threads should take exactly the same approach, but I'd
> rather not see a lot of optional/conditional features to support operating
> systems other than those two O/S families.

Well, everything that's optional in what I proposed for Boost.Threads (so far) happens
to also be optional on POSIX (and by using the same conditional compilation scheme).
That's precisely why I said "As for conditional compilation... the Boost.Filesystem
stuff has no need for this, while Boost.Threads has a very definate need."

The features left to be provided by Boost.Threads (other than barriers, thread pools
and read/write mutexes), and that most of it's users are requesting, happen to fall
into this "optional" category in POSIX.

William E. Kempf
[EMAIL PROTECTED]