On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Alexander Terekhov wrote:

> Kevin Atkinson wrote:

> > >  static const pthread_mutex_t MUTEX_INIT = PTHREAD_MUTEX_INITIALIZER;
> > >
> > >  class Mutex {
> > >    pthread_mutex_t l_;
> > >  public:
> > >    Mutex() : l_(MUTEX_INIT) {}"
> > >              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > I believe this behavior is well defined.  ....
> "....
>  Only /mutex/ itself may be used for performing synchronization.
>  The result of referring to copies of /mutex/ in calls to <snip>
>  is undefined."
>
> End of story.

You ignored the rest of my argument.  Neither the right hand side or the
left hand side of the assignment involve a mutex that has ever been used
in any way by any function.  It may be technically undefined by the POSIX
standard however I can not see any way that this can do any harm.  I
challenge you to find an implementation in which what I did will cause a
problem, or for that matter an hypothetical implementation.

---
http://kevin.atkinson.dhs.org