At 07:35 AM 6/26/2003, Matt Hurd wrote:

>"Is my work a derivate work?", I guess is the gist of the question. How
>do you firewall it?  Does a contract with a third party need to address
>the boundary of boost code (which maybe modified and embedded or not)
>and the proprietary code.

Serious answers to those questions are way too complex for an email reply. I'm not qualified in any case. Your best bet is to buy a book on the topic. Perhaps "Copyright Your Software" by Stephen Fishman. See http://www.nolo.com/lawstore/products/product.cfm/ObjectID/991DEF76-7EAC-402F-A36984BEADE9DB53

(I haven't read it. I've got an older book, How to Copyright Software" by MJ Salone, from the same publisher, but it is now out-of-print. It is available used on Amazon.)

>__________
>
>If I have the desire to license source code, which uses boost code, to a
>third party, on the basis that my code may not be redistributed then
>this statement confuses the issue if I am a derivative work.
>
>For example, I build a risk system for an asset manager.  I use some
>boost, perhaps modified.  I include the license as required... and I get
>confused trying to separate the consequences in a contract with the
>third party.  I had one such messy contract that took over a year to
>resolve to mutual agreement :-(
>
>Perhaps this is a non issue as the issue may exist for alternative
>licenses.

I think other licenses have the same problem. I ran into it years before Boost, and solved it by keeping the open-source code clearly separated from the proprietary (and actually delivered on separate disks, to emphasize the difference.) The proprietary code used the open-source code, but was not derived from the open-source code. Use is one thing, derivation is another.
>PS: does #include <boost/any_old_header.hpp> make you a derived work?

No. That is use, but not derivation. But if instead of #include, you pasted in a legally significant portion of <boost/any_old_header.hpp>, that would make your program a derived work. Note that if you pasted in code from several sources, your code might become a derived work of each of those sources.

HTH,

--Beman