Inline.

"John Torjo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> > Using operator->() and operator*() you use "pointer value itself". It is
> > pretty rare situation when you need it directly and not as part of
> > abc->def() or *abc constructs. Example of c_str() is irrelevant --- you
> can
> > do all string manipulations without c_str(). The former is needed to
> > interface legacy systems, which is not frequent case.
>
> Not quite. It's quite frequent to me, when I use STL strings on Win32 -
for
> calling UI functions like MessageBox, SetText, etc.

I hear you. I usually write a wrapper for such functions like SetText, which
accept strings, if I use them frequently in a project.

I don't use MessageBox frequently as part of user interface. But I use it
for debugging. Usually it is used as  part of some error reporting object
(like assert facility), which, of course, takes strings.

Thanks,

Eugene