On Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003, at 05:56 America/Denver, David Abrahams wrote:

Gregory Colvin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I'm generally less afraid of automatic conversions than many others,
and dropped them from auto_ptr, and later from shared_ptr, only under
duress.  I like them for wrapper classes because they make it possible
to drop the wrappers directly into existing code that uses the wrapped
types.  I like the terseness too, but then I am perverse enough to
prefer &*p to p.get().

Some conversions are worse than others. For example, an implicit conversion from a raw pointer to an owning handle/smart-pointer is far more dangerous than the opposite conversion.

Agreed. It is the latter conversions I like.