--- Brock Peabody <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> This saves us from having to find a representational
> scheme that will
> fit on top of an unknown number of platforms which
> might not have
> anything in common.

I think this is where we disagree. I prefer to find a
single low-level represntation scheme that could be
implemented on top of an unknown number of platforms.
The representation could be even expressed in terms of
a C API, it doesn't matter.  The modern C++ layer will
use the single representation, and not worry about a
specific platform at all.  The C++ layer will reside
in .h files completely.

If we do something like this, then our library will
support Rainer Deyke's requirements (see his post in
this thread).

Eugene