[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> On Behalf Of David B. Held
> Sent: Friday, August 08, 2003 1:18 PM
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: [boost] Re: UI++ [was: GUI sublanguage; Re: GUI/GDI template
> library]
>
> "Philippe A. Bouchard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > David B. Held wrote:
> > [...]
> > > To bring a bit of sobering reality to the project, I would suggest
> > > picking a simple, even trivial target project (like displaying
some
> > > trivial dialog box).
> >
> > This is exactly what I wanted first: a project based on portable
> > rectangles, windows, stylish frames, menus, fonts & events.
> > Thanks for confirming.
> > [...]
>
> I am of the opinion that the library should use native widgets.  It
> sounds to me like you want to create a custom universal widget
> set, but of course, this is going to be a hot-button issue for this
> library.  I think the majority of people who have chimed in have
> also voted for or assumed native widgets, but I could be wrong.

I strongly support native widgets too.  I want the Windows version of my
program to look like a windows program and the Mac version to look like
a Mac program.  This also saves us from having to develop our own
widgets.

> An interesting question is whether the library could support a
> native widget set as an abstract third-party platform.  Then people
> who want that exact portable look and feel can get it by specifying
> the custom widget platform.

That's a great point.  If our library is well designed it should support
this type of customization naturally.  We can have our cake and eat it
too :)

That reminds me of something I was thinking about your post on
wxWindows.  Someone could always write a 'driver' targeting wxWindows if
they want quick access to all of the platforms it supports and don't
mind the LGPL.

Brock