On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 09:42:59AM -0500, Wizard wrote:
> I'm writing a script to do email filtering, and I have some questions:
> 1.> These are all valid email address:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] <- this is valid, but not standard

What's non-standard about it? (apart from the spelling)

> The problem is that last one with DOMAIN.CC format. Not having a TLD is NOT
> TYPICAL for UK domains (there are only 7?), but are there other non-US
> countries using a similar format?

Indeed it's not typical, but it is standard in that it has all the right
records in all the right places like the DNS*.  And yes, PLENTY of other
countries have longword.cc-style domains.  France, for instance, and
Germany, and Canada.

* - I assume, I haven't bothered looking it up

>                                    This is what I am expecting for
> international emails, and others will presently fail:
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
it always makes me laugh when people misuse this word to mean "not in my
country".

> USER_NAME[_W_DOTS*]@CNAMES*.DOMAIN.TLD.CC[:PORT?], an extreme being like
> this:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:8021, where 'TLD' is required
> if 'CC' is present.
> Is this a problem?

Yes, it's a problem.  It won't work.

> 2.> Do email addresses ever have port numbers appended, like this:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:24

If they do, then they're invalid AFAIK.

> 3.> Are there any US domains that don't look like this:
>     CNAMES*.DOMAIN.TLD[:PORT?]

Yes, anything in .us.

In general, trying to divine what is and is not a valid mail domain without
looking it up in the DNS is doomed to failure.

--
David Cantrell | Sysadmin/programmer for hire | [EMAIL PROTECTED]

One person can change the world, but most of the time they shouldn't
    -- Marge Simpson