> What's non-standard about it? (apart from the spelling)

Sorry, "not-typical".

> Indeed it's not typical, but it is standard in that it has all the right
> records in all the right places like the DNS*.  And yes, PLENTY of other
> countries have longword.cc-style domains.  France, for instance, and
> Germany, and Canada.

Apparently, Finland as well. I'll have to do more parsing I guess.

> * - I assume, I haven't bothered looking it up

You assume correctly. I was hoping there was an easier answer.

> > international emails, and others will presently fail:
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> it always makes me laugh when people misuse this word to mean "not in my
> country".

I'm sorry, I thought this was a Perl list, not a grammar list ;-0. Please
feel free to deduct points for spelling, too. ;-)

> Yes, it's a problem.  It won't work.

Yes, that seems to be the consensus.

> > 3.> Are there any US domains that don't look like this:
> >     CNAMES*.DOMAIN.TLD[:PORT?]
>
> Yes, anything in .us.

Meaning, CNAMES*.DOAMIN.us? Or CNAMES*.DOMAIN.TLD.us? Or both?

> In general, trying to divine what is and is not a valid mail
> domain without
> looking it up in the DNS is doomed to failure.

I guess I'll have to fail on at least some then, as that really isn't an
option. This is for filter sets, not really validity. I'm looking at sets
that look like this:
*@aol.*
*@*.parliment.uk
fred@*.sourceforge.*
etc.
and trying to match up the fields in each address with the user's address.
It's a DENY/ALLOW sort of system.
I'll keep working on it,
Grant M.