From: John Tobey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 16:53:57 -0500

   On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 03:16:32PM -0500, Bob Rogers wrote:

   >    Also, I've attached a code fragment I wrote to validate email address
   > syntax.

   Thanks very much for the code sample and link to Bernstein's great RFC
   822 info site.

No problem.

   I would like to point out that your code can be improved by replacing
   uses of $& and $` with parentheses in the regexes followed by $1 and
   $2.  This is from the Devel::SawAmpersand doc . . .

I was unaware of this issue; thanks for bringing it to my attention.
But Devel::SawAmpersand doesn't really explain the problem in any kind
of depth, and just talks about "massive in-memory copying."  So,
presumably, this is just a question of efficiency?

                                        -- Bob