Well... I have scripts set up to do button/tab etc
generation of my company's web graphics using all perl.
I create the images using Imlib2 and xml templates.

  I really doubt I could share the code with you, but I
could probably help you along, and even give you my slightly
enhanced version of the Imlib2 module. (I use the one
from the E source tree, not the one on CPAN).

  Imlib2 can be a pain in the ass, but it is much more
powerful than the GD library, it seems, and even supports
gradients and truetype fonts. Though only freetype 1 is
supported now, I am using GD2 just for text generation
so that I can get FreeType2 and .otf support. Fonts look
much smoother. It works very well.

  As for changing image colors, you could do that with imlib2
as well... though maybe pixel by pixel. The probalem you may run
into is if they have anti-aliased text, which will make wholesale
color-swapping difficult.

--