On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Ian Langworth wrote:

I can't speak for web-based management, but I can tell you that we're
using Radmind and FAI for to manage our Linux workstations.  As for
monitoring, we might use Big Sister, but look into Nagios as well.

We were using FAI, and it was nice for quick, automated installs (we could have a functional Debian workstation up in about two or three minutes from the first boot this way).

Then we switched to net-booting over NFS, and it's even easier & faster. There's no longer any need to configure each machine, beyond going into the bios and making sure that PXE boot over the network is enabled. Everything else can be managed on the NFS server, and if a machine goes bad, we can just move the user over to a new one or rebuild the old one, but either way it's a trivial matter.

I don't know if net-booting would be a problem for cluster computing though, where presumably you are working on distributed problems with lots of inter-machine communication. It shouldn't be bad though.

What's Radmind like? I looked at it briefly, but not in depth. What sorts of things are you doing with it?

-- Chris Devers [EMAIL PROTECTED]

np: 'Bone Machine'
     by The Pixies
     from 'Surfer Rosa'