On Sat, 2005-02-26 at 10:28 -0500, Uri Guttman wrote:
>   JT> If I could write standalone programs for windows in perl, and be
>   JT> able to share those programs with my non-perl collegues at work
>   JT> without over head of them having to install perl separately, would
>   JT> work wonders for general acceptance of the language.  I understand
>   JT> that I can bundled perl itself as an executable.  But the WYSIWYG
>   JT> IDE and easy to use executables just seem to make the language
>   JT> more palatable for knowledgeable, non-technical users.
>
> there are several cross platform gui libs for perl. the ones that come
> to mind are perl/tk, wx (was wxwindows) and perl/qt. i think perl/gtk is
> also around. and there is at least one gui editor called glade and i
> think there are others. you just have to look around cpan and the net
> for these. they don't come with perl nor are there one primary standard
> way (timtowtdi as always). then you can have your eyecandy and such
> while also using perl.

The windows libs for Qt 4 ( http://www.trolltech.com/ ) are now free for
open source projects. The Qt development tools came with my SuSE dist
and I've played with them some. You can assemble all the GUI parts in
the Qt builder and then execute a script that converts the Qt project to
Perl modules which was really nice.

And Mandrake Linux has been using Perl with the Gtk binding to make a
lot of their administrative tools. There's an article about it on
www.perl.com.

GL

--
Sean Quinlan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>