I'm sorry I wasn't on this (off-topic) thread earlier, but I don't have
time to read every mailing list every day. I do some casual Perl coding
of my own and edited a few Perl books at O'Reilly in the past, but I'm
not in the Perl loop these days. So I can't judge whether a particular
book idea would interest the right editors here, but I don't mind people
coming to me with proposals, and I can forward them to somebody if they
look at all viable.

The proposals alias works, but it takes time and sometimes the person
handling the alias has trouble deciding whom to send the proposal to.
Still, if you list a language it will probably go to the right person.

So far as I know, the O'Reilly editors take ideas from outsiders all the
time, and are particularly willing to listen to outsiders who have some
connection and some standing in the community. (Although the complex
relationships between O'Reilly and some of the people on this list would
be scary to try to elucidate.)

Andy Oram  O'Reilly Media                     email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Editor     90 Sherman Street                       voice: 617-499-7479
           Cambridge, MA 02140-3233                  fax: 617-661-1116
           USA                         http://www.praxagora.com/andyo/
Stories at Web site:
The Bug in the Seven Modules     Code the Obscure     The Disconnected