On Fri, 2005-05-20 at 10:27, Ronald J Kimball wrote:
> I seem to recall that the perl5.8.1 that comes with Red Hat is not the same
> as the official release of perl5.8.1.  Anyone know where I can find out
> more information about this?

Well, for starters, you might want to narrow down what you mean by Red
Hat (RHL, RHEL, Fedora, etc.); but no matter what you're running, you
can always use the magic of RPM to find out what you want:

        [acquire SRPM for your version from ftp/apt/whatever you use]
        rpm -ivh perl[...]src.rpm
        less /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/perl.spec

This will list the official perl tar-ball that comes from CPAN, and all
of the individual patch files (which are now located in
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES) that would be applied if you were to build from
this spec file.

Red Hat never modifies the base source for a package, they just add
patches to the SRPM which are applied when the RPM is built. There is
also a changelog at the end of the file that details what was done to
this package.

--
Aaron Sherman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Senior Systems Engineer and Toolsmith