On May 26, 2005, at 11:59 AM, Alex Brelsfoard wrote:

> Yeah, but still we need to remember to put that hidden field in to
> hold
> the place of the checkbox's name.
> Part of my problem is that there are MANY differen humans who are
> making
> forms who use my script.  WAY too much human error availability.  My
> helper script that reads the HTML to create a list of fields is a bit
> safer (though still not the answer I'm looking for).
> <shrug>
> --Alex

If you are able to control the enclosing form tag and count on
javascript (uh, hmmm, well...), then you could pack the field names
into a string and submit it like this:

<!-- apologies in advance for hijacking some bandwidth for javascript
-->
<script>
function collect_names (form_name, element_name) {
     var names = new Array();
     for (var i = 0; i < document.forms[form_name].elements.length; +
+i) {
         if (document.forms[form_name].elements[i].name) {
             names.push(document.forms[form_name].elements[i].name);
         }
     }
     document.forms[form_name].elements[element_name].value =
names.join(',');
}
</script>

<form name="form1" method="get" onsubmit="collect_names('form1',
'all_field_names')">
<input type="hidden" name="all_field_names" value="">
<input type="checkbox" name="sign_me_up">
<input type="checkbox" name="flame">
<input type="checkbox" name="douse">
<input type="submit" value="Go">
</form>