Ronald J Kimball wrote:
> Phil then led an open discussion on the implementation of Reef, touching on
> topics such as content caching, GIS, database schemas, and keyword
> categories.

Phil, have you considered using a native XML database for storage
instead of an RDBMS?

I've never used one myself, but it seems like it would be ideal for your
problem of dealing with semi-structured data. You could arbitrarily add
fields to pages, and then index specific fields as necessary to boost
performance.

A few related links:

XML.com: Introduction to Native XML Databases
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/10/31/nativexmldb.html

Apache Xindice
http://xml.apache.org/xindice/

Sleepycat Software: Products: Berkeley DB XML
http://www.sleepycat.com/products/xml.shtml

Knitting such a database to Catalyst would be another matter...

  -Tom