Simon Wilcox wrote:
> mod_perl is a security nightmare in a shared environment which is why you
> will need to go the dedicated route.

I haven't had a need for mod_perl in a shared hosting environment, but
before recommending my favorite shared hosting provider that I use with
clients, I figured I check what their mod_perl policy was:

https://panel.dreamhost.com/kbase/index.cgi?area=2446&keyword=mod_perl

   We do not support mod_perl on our shared hosting plans.
   We do support mod_perl on our dedicated servers though!

   We're sorry about this. There are several problems with allowing
   mod_perl in our shared hosting environment. mod_perl can hog too
   much memory if code isn't properly written. It has the potential to
   introduce a great deal of instability to our systems. We are not
   anti mod_perl - we use it extensively in our own web panel, however
   we don't feel that supporting it in a shared environment is
   scalable.

   We are looking into ways to provide mod_perl with our shared hosting
   offerings in the future, but do not currently have a time line in
   place.

No wonder we're getting killed by PHP.

Customer comments to the above included a pointer to a discussion on
this topic:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/modperl/2167178

Some quotes of interest:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/modperl/2176383
   ...in a shared hosting environment, especially a mostly automated
   one, we have very little control over customers' code. And, since we
   have (a lot) more than one customer on each instance of Apache,
   mod_perl allows customers to write code that will either prevent the
   Apache from starting at all, or even bring down an entire machine
   (hence the "instability" comment). Providing an entire instance of
   Apache for each mod_perl site isn't really feasible for us either.
   We used to support mod_perl on shared hosting plans; it caused too
   many problems for us.
   [authored by an employee of the ISP]

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/modperl/2177506
   Explain the success of PHP then. Apparently the cross-site holes
   were tolerable for long enough...

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/modperl/2167271
   Err, do they have PHP? Its more of a memory/resource hog and is more
   unstable, assuming the same task and similar programming technique.
   (I make this statement as someone who has to rebuild at least one
   apache per day due to PHP problems and troubleshoot resource useage
   issues that usually go down to a badly written PHP scripts)

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/modperl/2177500
   What bothered me about your policy is that it accuses mod_perl of
   these things, and yet you offer PHP as an apache module.  PHP has
   plenty of security issues when you don't run it as CGI, and you can
   certainly crash the server with it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the understanding I've had of mod_perl is
that it allows you to access Apache's internal API to pretty much the
same extent as a native C module does, and thus allows you to create new
modules written in Perl, while the more recent mod_<language> modules
for other languages don't allow quite the same level of access.

I've often wondered if this greater power in mod_perl has been a
hindrance rather than a help to the Perl web development community.
Would we have been better off if, in addition to mod_perl (for the rare
cases when you do need low-level access), there was a mod_perl_embed, or
something like that, that was restricted in ability and focused on the
needs of the typical site developer?

Back to the original question, the thread also included:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/modperl/2167518
   Gossamer-Threads has a pretty cool mod_perl setup. You can get a
   dedicated server or a shared account. Each shared account has its
   own apache process, which means that you can log in and control
   (i.e. stop / start / restart) your own modperl httpd.

And a pointer to:
http://perl.apache.org/help/isps.html

which lists ISPs Supporting mod_perl.

  -Tom