  TS> As another aside, if people are interested I can send 77 lines of data
  TS> for each of these 2008 model year cars: Camry, Accord, Infiniti_G35,
  TS> Impreza, Altima, Audi_A4, Volvo_S40, Saab_9_3
  TS> I would not mind off-list opinions on any of these cars.  In general I
  TS> want a car with width <= 70.7 inches (the Accord at 71.7" is probably
  TS> too wide to fit in my garage), and would like AWD.

well, knowing the size of the real world data is an important fact. you
said you didn't want to scan all the date before the sort but as you
have learned, tsort has to do that. 77 lines for each car is a tiny
amount of data which shouldn't have caused you to worry so much about
efficiency. even a bubble sort is cool for 6 elements!

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ------  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  --------  http://www.sysarch.com --
-----  Perl Architecture, Development, Training, Support, Code Review  ------