On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 21:42 -0400, Tom Metro wrote:
> Do you think they'll ever hold one of these in Boston?
>
> Once upon a time O'Reilly seemed to have more of a presence here. They
> still have offices here (no?), but I had the impression they started out
> here.

According to
<http://blogs.oreilly.com/cgi-bin/mt/mt-search.cgi?IncludeBlogs=57&search=lovelace>
 Tim O'Reilly started the company in 1985, and moved to CA in 1987.

> It seems that for the last decade or so they've done everything in
> California.

I'm guessing that O'Reilly was a very different company ten years ago.
In articles like
<http://radar.oreilly.com/2009/02/state-of-the-computer-book-mar-17.html>
people describe the tech book market collapsing in 2001 (falling 20% a year for
three straight years.) I can't find the exact article now, but I've seen them
describe that time period as a time for reinvention. Since OSCON has always
been in CA I assume it will always stay there (although the keep moving it a
bit, Montery, San Diego, etc.)