For reasons I think MJD explains the best (
http://lists.warhead.org.uk/pipermail/iwe/2005-July/000130.html ) Perl's
macros will never be quite nearly as good as CL's defmacro or even Scheme's
hygenic macros.  So obviously Perl's syntax is way too complex for
Lisp-quality metaprogramming, but I have heard that somehow Perl 6 macros
avoid the syntax level and operate directly on the underlying
representation.  I still haven't seen any examples of what this actually
looks like, but I'm looking forward to it.  At the MIT talk I almost asked a
question "can you talk a little about the macro system" but it seemed like
kind of an unrealistic request for the QA section so I chickened out.