I am trying to help a friend find gainful employment.
To that end I have been helping him sift through job
listings.
I have noticed is that my understanding of "job levels"
is somewhat off. For example, I see job listings for a
"senior" developer with 5-7 years experience.
"Architects" and "Principles" listings asking for
8+ years experience.
Is this usual?
I honestly don't know of anybody with only 8 years
experience I would want in an architect position!
I am at a "senior" level with my current company and if
I stick around "Principle" is probably at *least* 5
years away. I currently have 11 years experience. The
requirements are written to be quite formidable and
require and great degree of cross-product experience and
industry knowledge.
So for someone writing code(hopefully mostly Perl!) for
a living should expect what sort of career trajectory?
Do all programmers wind up hitting a corporate wall(age-ism?) and end up contracting?
I know this is not much related to Perl but it seems
like the Boston pm group has some experienced people in
it so I think this is a good place to ask for input from
people that have been around for awhile.