Tom Metro wrote:
> Adam Russell wrote:
>> I am trying to help a friend find gainful employment.
>> To that end I have been helping him sift through job
>> listings.
>
> "Sift" seems to imply that there are a lot. :-)
>

>> I have noticed is that my understanding of "job levels"
>> is somewhat off. For example, I see job listings for a
>> "senior" developer with 5-7 years experience.
>
> I too was surprised when I first saw such a specification 10+ years ago,
> but it seems to be typical. I've seen "senior" specified with as few as
> 3 years, though 5+ is typical.
>
> Consider, though, that this often means 5+ years with the specific
> language or skill being requested. Most hiring managers looking for a
> Java developer will consider a guy with 15 years of COBOL, but only 2
> years of Java, a junior developer.

Or you can see requests for a Senior Java programmer with 10 years of
experience, in 2002 - I have. And I did not miss a chance to point
out... *cough* that I started working with Java Beta 2, and I could only
claim 6.

> There's a lot of technological turnover in software engineering,
> obviously, and as the technologies shift, engineers get thrown back down
> the career ladder.

Only if you let them do that, and if there are enough floating bodies to
allow them the latitude.  Most of the time, HR is busy pointing out what
is wrong with the candidate.  They would meet a Ph.D, ask for someone
young - get a hotshot, ask for experience.

It is the game, they need to drive your price down, and circular logic
does not bother them. See Dilbert's famous cartoon "I have invented a
time machine and a serum of longevity, and have 200 years of UNIX
experience" - Catbert had a problem with that candidate, too.

Best -F