Bill Ricker wrote:
I looked at Bazaar...the startup hurdles were steep.

What specifically did you run into as a stumbling block?

My use of Bazaar so far has been light and superficial - setting up a repository, checking it out elsewhere, and a few edit/commit cycles. But so far the operations have been straight forward and intuitive. (Once I upgraded the version shipped with Debian Lenny, which seems prone to segfaults. Conveniently there is an Ubuntu PPA with versions that work on Lenny.)

Git makes a clean break in operating model from local storage sccs derived model that almost everything else is derived of.

The high level architecture for Bazaar is pretty much the same. (Local repository, loose synchronization with a central repository, cheap branching, etc.) It just doesn't obscure the system by imposing a particular workflow that requires a conceptual staging area (index).

Unless I'm missing something, you can get the same functionality that git provides from Bazaar.

The bigger question is whether one of the newer "porcelian" front-ends to git will address the UI issues, and that combined with it being heavily hyped will result in competing tools like Bazaar dying off in obscurity.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA