On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 11:07:28AM -0400, John Macdonald wrote:

> I concur.  After using Programming Perl for so long and finding
> it extremely effective, I was very disappointed in Programming
> Python.  Somewhere in the first 50 or so pages, I noticed a
> comment saying something like "this book is not intended to be
> a reference manual" - unfortunately, from my experience with the
> camel, that is exactly what I had expected it to be when I got
> the book.  (The camel includes a full reference manual, but
> augments that with expository info that tripes the size in a useful
> way.  The python is even larger but missing that essential core
> ingredient.)

I think a case can be made for splitting exposition and reference into
seperate books.  It was, for example, what happened to Java In A
Nutshell, and the 2nd and subsequent editions (the 2e being when it was
split) seem to have been quite popular.

Mind you, I don't know if there exists a good reference book for python.

--
David Cantrell | Enforcer, South London Linguistic Massive

What is the difference between hearing aliens through the
fillings in your teeth and hearing Jesus in your heart?