On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 05:06:57PM -0400, Uri Guttman wrote:
>   CD> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 4:44 PM, Uri Guttman <u...@stemsystems.com>
> wrote:
>   >>                assign => sub { my $x = 'abc' ; $x = "qwerty/$x" },
>   >>                substr => sub { my $x = 'abc' ; substr( $x, 0, 0,
> 'qwerty/') },
>
>   CD> The substr version doesn't look very readable or maintainable.
>   CD> You're teaching *beginners* to do things this way?
> well, not teaching it. i offered an alternative and faster way to
> prepend a string. some on the beginner's list are very capable of using
> substr in all its forms. the OP actually looked up the docs and found
> lvalue substr but i replied it shouldn't be used as 4 arg substr can do
> the same thing and is much faster.

But it seems that the question wasn't about pre-pending strings, but
about pre-pending directories.  In which case the correct answer is
"there's a module that handles all the cross-platform craziness for
manipulating filenames".  It's File::Spec.

Guns aren't the problem.  People who deserve to die are the problem.