Bill Ricker <bill.n1...@gmail.com> writes:

> the book that i taught from was C++ How To Program.
>  http://www.deitel.com/
> They have 5 C/C++ books now, plus Java, VB/#, Web, ...

Did you like Deitel and Deitel or was it a compromise between the books
you like best and what you thought a mix of students with different
levels of dedication and enthusiasm would find comfortable reading? When
I looked at their C one, it seemed to have a lot of, uh, extra words, to
say it politely (granted I had absorbed the idea from friends that K&R
was the one and only worthy C book by that time). It also looked more
suited for a first programming course rather than for a practicing
programmer -- i.e. more the equivalent of Stroustrup's Programming
Principles and Practice Using C++ or perhaps Glassborrow's You Can Do
It. I find it a bit suspicious too that they seem to just flip these
things out $book=~ s/C/C++/g or $book =~ s/C/Java/g. Maybe that's not
fair, not really having read them.

> C How to Program ,C ++ how to program, C++11 for Programmers, .Simply C++,
> Small C++  – available on Safari.

I missed the original question, but if OP (Greg?) can wait a bit the
next edition of Stroustrup's The C++ Programming Language is supposed to
come out by June, revised for the new standard. It's a tricky time to
buy a C++ book unless you don't care about C++11 (there's lots of neat
stuff in there to care about:
http://www.stroustrup.com/C++11FAQ.html#language),
since many of the good ones haven't been updated yet or never will
be. For instance, Accelerated C++ is often recommended but will it be
updated for C++11?  Andrew Koenig (my favourite writer on C++, though I
never read Accelerated C++) was recommending his wife's (and others')
book, C++ Primer 5th ed., which has been updated for C++11:
http://www.drdobbs.com/cpp/c-primer-5th-edition-part-1-how-to-revis/240003977

- Mike