> Instead, I generate the test file from a simpler data file that only
> contains the relevant test data.

When I was verifying a hardware-based image converter,
I used that approach. You gave it an image file,
a small file that contained some register settings
that indicated what we wanted the hardware to do.

This went into a golden model and the dut, and a simple
diff at the end gave a pass/fail.

But the environment I'm working on now has
many hundreds of registers. And it's not simply a matter
of selecting the mode for the dut. There are a lot of
sequential operations that need to be done that isn't
simply a matter of data-based testing.

If a fault-bit is set, I need to change the condition
so that the cause of the fault goes away. Then I check
the bit to make sure it's still set because its sticky.
Then I clear the fault, and read it to make sure that
it finally got clear.

I was working on one project where the project manager
suggested data-based testing. We looked at the DUT, and
I said we need an "if" statement. I looked some more,
and it was clear we needed a "looping" statement. And
the looping statement needed "variables". And rather than
re-inventing a computer language, we dropped the data
approach, and wrote the tests with an existing language.

Greg