I have some networking code in Perl. Fairly low level in that I use raw
sockets, accept(), etc instead of the higher level IO::Socket package. I'd like
to test this code but am not sure what the best approach is. There doesn't seem
to be a convenient testing framework like there is with WWW testing. I guess I
could use Expect and throw something together but that seems a bit clunky.

What I'd like to do is test client(s) connect to port XYZ, sending messages,
and testing the output returned. Sounds simple enough but it isn't clear how to
proceed in anything other than a kind of ad hoc way with Expect or whatever.
Any advice?